Friday, April 2, 2010

Roland VG-99 vs. Boss GS-10

I have both the Roland VG-99 and the Boss GS-10 and both are pretty nifty, but I'm finding that I really need both to feel comfy recording.

The VG-99 is a crazy unit that has all sorts of bells and whistles, especially if you use the GK-3 pickup (which I do). With this system, I'm able to play all sorts of sounds and even control midi-devices and record into Sonar the midi notes I'm playing on the guitar. This works because the GK-3 pickup has per-string pickups instead of the standard guitar one pickup model. I can essentially make my standard 6-string electric sound like anything: a flute, a 12-string guitar, a mandolin, violins, drums, a bass, etc.

The latency is a bit problematic when trying to control midi-devices, but it's not awful for recording the midi notes. The trick here is to have the midi notes recording while you're listening to a normal sound from the VG-99. Then you can manually tweak the midi notes and assign them to the instrument of choice. So you record using a standard guitar sound, but when you have Sonar (or you recording system of choice) play back the midi, it can sound like anything your midi-device supports. This is great if you're not a keyboardist but still want those keyboard sounds. Plus, using this method you can alter the notes by hand for when your timing or note placement is off a bit.

So what's the problem with the VG-99? Sadly, there are a few.

1. The pickup installation messes with your guitar's action. This is particularly bad if you're using heavier gauge strings. There is the slightest (barely noticeable) delay from when the string is plucked to when the sound emerges. It's so slight that the only person that will notice is the person playing 100mph. Slower players may not notice it at all.

2. When you play fast stuff, it starts to sound a bit digital. It's as if there are little wav files there just playing over themselves. It gets choppy.

3. Anytime I hit the D note (or chord), the guitar loses the proper stereo sound and hits full center. It only happens on D when the guitar is distorted.

4. The distortions sound iffy. There's just no really kerboom to them, if you know what I mean.

And this is why I hang onto the Boss GS-10. The Boss distortions are awesome. I get all the aforementioned kerboom out of the GS-10 for distortion and speed junk, and since it has the built-in speakers I can also move it around with me wherever I roam.

So for midi and clean sounds, the VG-99 is a pretty nifty unit. For distortion, I prefer the GS-10 greatly.

You'll get to hear them both on the upcoming "The Wielder of the Blade" album.

No comments:

Post a Comment